LindaA
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

Possibly. If you itemize deductions, you may claim out-of-pocket (after-tax) medical insurance premiums, such as supplemental Medicare insurance premiums, as a medical expense. The deduction is limited to the amount of medical expenses that exceeds 7.5% of your adjusted gross income (AGI). 

There is a screen in the medical expenses section of TurboTax just for insurance premiums. Note that you should not enter medical insurance premiums reported elsewhere, such as Medicare Part B, C, or D premiums reported on Form SSA-1099. (Click the screenshot below to enlarge it for reference.)

To enter out-of-pocket medical insurance premiums:

• Continue your return in TurboTax Online. (If your return isn't open, you'll need to sign in, click Take me to my return.)
  • Click Tax Tools (lower left side of your screen).
  • Select Tools.
  • In the pop-up window, select Topic Search.
  • In the I'm looking for: box, type medical expenses.
  • In the results box, highlight medical expenses, sch a, then click GO.
  • Follow the onscreen instructions. Medical expenses are divided into numerous categories, so you will go through several screens before you get to the medical insurance premiums screen. (The categories are: prescription medications, medical professionals, medical facility fees, x-ray and lab work fees, long-term care services, eye care expenses, medical supplies and equipment, medical travel, insurance premiums, and other medical expenses.)

Note: If using the TurboTax CD/Download software, you'll use the Find function and the "Jump to" link (instead of "Tax Tools") to search for the topic.

Can I deduct medical, dental, and vision expenses?  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301457

[Edited 04.01.2018 I 11:50AM PDT]