BillM223
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

"but at least, your Oregon state income will not be correct."

Sorry, my typo; it should have read, "but at least, your Oregon state income will be correct."

"I'm not sure whether I am using the Online product, but I presume not as I purchased TurboTax Premier from Costco and downloaded it onto my PC."

Yes, you are using the CD/download software, not the Online product.

"But doesn't Intuit/TurboTax have a responsibility to correct the software program when an error is identified? "

Of course, TurboTax wants to offer the highest quality product. However, it is simply impossible to correct every issue in a short timeframe...if for no other reason than Congress, the IRS, and the states have been "moving the goalposts" on nearly a daily basis. 

"I would rather wait for the software program to be corrected than fill out the forms manually."

Because of the huge amount of work required by all the last minute law changes and because this issue affects relatively few taxpayers - yes, TurboTax has to make value judgments, just like every business - my guess is that this will not be fixed until after tax season. I would love to be wrong, but I have to be realistic.

"For me, there is no tax impact of having $1,848 show instead of $996 in line 5 of Oregon's Schedule OR-A since my deduction is capped at $10,000 in line 9 and line 6 is already greater than $10,000. "

I went through a lot of effort to figure out a workaround for you. If in fact the workaround would make no difference to you, then I would suggest that you go ahead and file as-is. If the fact is, as you say, that your final numbers would be correct; in this age of pandemic, it is unlikely that any taxing agency will notice or care that some of the intermediate numbers are off.

It's your choice, to file as-is or create a paper copy of the return and update it by hand.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"