rbrosso
Returning Member

NYS IT-203 (Non-Res) - Sale of Deceased Mother's Property

I am a DE resident.  My mother died in late 2019.  My 3 siblings & I sold her home in 2020, and we each got 1099-S's for 1/4 of the gross proceeds.  When it sold, our real estate atty filed the requisite form, showing there were no taxes due, because of the step-up basis.  I had no other income in NY. 

My first question is do I really have to file the 203, since I know I don't owe any taxes to NY (& that form was submitted upon closing)? 

Assuming, I do, however, I paid the $45 for the additional state form.  (I have TT Premier.)

I do not understand the TT page/questions, asking me for Sold Assets - Difference Basis (& the amt. I would've declared, if).  I've filled the  Fed Amt & NYS Amt boxes out different ways, & I keep getting a Tax Due amt. in excess of $1k, which I know is wrong.  I also get no questions where I can put in the cost basis of the house at the time my mother died.  Furthermore, there are no TT explanations on this page or anywhere else in the program.  I must be doing smthg. wrong.  Please help.  Thank you.