AmyC
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

I am going to play devil's advocate. As I read your story, I wonder, did you really move to NJ? You packed up all your stuff, changed your license, car insurance, voting, got a place for a month with intention to stay and be a NJ resident? It really does not sound like you moved to NJ. It sounds like you went home for a visit due to family emergency and stayed there. Then you went home. Let's look at both sides of this coin.

If you really did move to NJ, then you are a part-year resident return and must file all income earned while living in NJ.

However, it you were just there visiting, all your stuff stayed in CA, your home and stuff, license, voting and intent to live, all CA, then you were not a resident of NJ. Non-residents of NJ only file tax on income earned from a NJ source. You had CA income, there would be no need to file a return.

So, you need to decide if you were actually a NJ resident or just staying there dealing with family. Part of being a resident is intention. It was never your intention to make NJ your permanent home from the way it sounds.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"