mjvdwoerd

State tax filing

Yes, thank you for your answer.

I have a bit of a problem answering a question with an answer that is not the truth. But your solution would work. It is my understanding that there are many thousands of people who have this problem.

Rumor goes that when the IRS website opens for electronic returns on 2/12, there might be a form there that one could use to "inform the IRS about change in citizenship status" and I hope this may fix the problem. I do not know what form this is, or for whom it is intended but I read on an IRS page that such a form may be posted.

Ultimately the problem is that the IRS decided that "the right kind of SSN" is the answer to the legal condition to be eligible to work in this country. Understandable, but problematic. The SSA does not determine if you are eligible. The DHS does. But there was no easy and quick way to ask them for information.

It is obvious what happened. To fix it, is not so simple. And to submit a tax return that says at the bottom that I certify that the information provided is true and correct, when it in fact is not, is not good. To claim the money probably means that the tax return will be rejected. So you essentially get stuck: darned if you do and darned if you don't.