Why i have to pay taxes in georgia when i did not work in that state for 2020.

State tax filing

The big BUT....is...but where did you live ?  Anyone living in GA, but crossing the state border to work daily, or regularly, still must file a GA tax return...and "might " owe taxes to GA on any and all income earned during the year.   If the other state(s) you worked in (while living in GA) had an income tax, then you do the non-resident tax returns first, and GA allows you a credit for the taxes paid to that other state....but if you worked in FL (or any non-income-taxing state)  there is no credit since you don't pay the other state anything.

Other situations:

1) military folks posted out of GA, but with military HOR......a GA tax return might still be required (I haven't checked to see if GA taxes their military people when posted out-of-state)

2)   College students in some other state, who are dependents of parents living in GA.  Any work they do anywhere is GA income.

Otherwise, if your main residence is not in GA...not sure why GA tax return would be needed, unless you had GA taxes withheld for some reason on a W-2 or 1099-R or other income.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
Hal_Al
Level 15

State tax filing

If you moved to or from GA, during 2020, you are technically required to file a GA, even if you had no income there.  You will owe no tax, but are still required to file.

From the dept of revenue web site:

If you are a legal resident of Georgia for only a portion of the tax year and are required to file a federal income tax return, you are required to file a Georgia Form 500 Individual Income Tax Return. You must complete Schedule 3 to determine your Georgia Taxable income.