Allthethings
Returning Member

State tax filing

Hi @DanielV01.

First off, thanks so much for taking the time to write a lengthy reply to my many questions.

I have, since writing the post, received my W2 from the PA company. They have not sent a 1099.

I have also received a copy of Turbo Tax for this year. I can see being prompted for additional information and am now curious which form do I list when they ask what the additional information is referring to. Is it the PA-40 that I file with Pennsylvania or one of the two forms I apparently need to submit with the return (which are a copy of the W2 and a copy of my 1040-NJ?

Because of the need to submit these documents with the PA return, can I still file electronically or does PA need to be mailed in?

You make mention that NY is the most aggressive when it comes to telecommute income. I am well aware of this. That is partly why I want to continue allocating the income all to NY. I have read their guidance that states even during the pandemic, non residents working for NY companies shall be taxed by NY for this income.

When I wrote to PA Dept of Revenue about this situation, the reply in part included a bit about amended returns, but I don't think this qualifies for me? I didn't file in PA for the last two years because as I said previously, the work I did for them was based out of NY (and most of it performed in that state, the part that was not was in NJ) even though the corporation is registered in PA. I feel like it would open a whole can of worms if I were to file that Form 8819. The amount of income in 2020 as a contractor really didn't come to much. 2018 was the year I earned the most with them. Maybe I should have done that form in that year, but doing so would probably have a ripple effect onto my 2019 taxes and then 2020 taxes. Such a mess..