KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

Thank you for sending the diagnostic file. The solution is to correct some technicalities of late breaking updates and importing issues.

Regarding the import problem:

I found a series of zeros in some of the interest, dividends and capital gains/losses where the boxes did not apply and should have been blank. This caused a smattering of data to identify as Michigan but without the necessary details for an adjustment. This was erroneous since no adjustment was necessary. 

To check if your copy, and not just the diagnostic file has -0-'s where they do not belong, check your 1099-INT, 1099-DIV and 1099-B import. In a few cases for the Forms 1099- INT and -DIV, there were -0-s even though the checkbox was not checked that more details were on the form.

For the Form 1099-B import, click on any of the capital transactions from the Federal Stock transaction Step-By-Step interview. Click continue and see if there are zeros listed with Michigan identified. 

Therefore, it is unlikely the state tax balance due should be reduced by $27. 

You had asked earlier about what the MI-1040D instructions were regarding differences. With a closer look at your Schedule D transactions, I do not think this is required.

See this Michigan.gov resource: When am I required to file a Michigan Adjustments of Capital Gains and Losses MI-1040D? which is also shown (less a mortgage foreclosure link that is n/a)

To resolve and file:

• Open Form MI-1040D and select Delete this form in the lower corner of the window and run the review again leaving the partially allocated capital transaction data as is, which should no longer affect your state filing.
    • If there still was an error, I recommend deleting the line items until the red exclamation point disappears--first with the detail schedule lines from the MI-8949
  • Alternatively, delete your import and re-add it: How do I update or delete something I imported into TurboTax?

Regardless, I do recommend making sure your program is recently updated due to all the updates more recently: Manually update TurboTax for Windows Software (Basic, Deluxe, Premier, Home & Business)

Thank you for your patience and perseverance @huppster01