huppster01
Returning Member

State tax filing

Hello Again KathrynG3. Thanks for the response. I have inserted my comments after your suggested steps below.

Scroll to the MI-8949 line 2 and compare that to the U.S. Form 1040 Schedule D, line 1 a, column h.

(as depicted on your first screenshot, line 1) to verify $52.

This MI-8949 line 2 is blank.  U.S. Form 1040 Schedule D, line 1 a, column h shows $576.

($576 is the total gain from the 1099B, however, some of the gains are from US Treasury sources which would be subtracted from the Michigan gains ... the $52 expected value)

The MI-8949 line 1 section is also blank, no entries at all.

The US form 8949 has no short term entries and only (2) long term entries.  I would expect that these would be loaded from the brokerage download.  Is this controlled by an interview question?

Next, in forms mode, check for values entered by double clicking Open Forms or by scrolling to: 

• U.S. Form 6252 Installment Sale (Form Not Present)
  • U.S. Form 4684 Casualties and Thefts (Form Not Present)
  • U.S. Form 6781 Gains and Losses From Section 1256 Contracts and Straddles (Form Not Present)
  • U.S. Form 8824 Like-Kind Exchanges (Form Not Present)

If possible, you could delete these forms or return to the Federal interview to adjust an answer in the Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other section.