ABC567
Returning Member

State tax filing

Hello, 

I have an even more complicated situation. 

My spouse and I used to live in Ohio together. He did not have any income in Ohio (unemployed), while I worked. He got a job with a multinational firm and moved to Florida to work out of an office there for a client, while I remained in Ohio. He has lived in Florida full time since taking the job minus training in other states, etc. 

His company did not update his address and continued to charge Ohio taxes. We informed the company, and they updated the address to Florida eventually. Until then, however, he paid Ohio taxes. The W2 form showed Ohio and the amount of state taxes that had already been paid in box 15.

We are doing Married Filing Jointly federally, and Ohio requires that that its state return status be the same as the federal return status of married filing jointly.

I have tried the usual solutions:  1)I have included partial year resident data in TurboTax already for my spouse, and this has not changed the amount that is "counted" as an Ohio State taxable wage for our combine income.  2) There is an Ohio state tax section that allows double-taxed income to be "credited," but it was never double-taxed. Florida has no state income, and so there is no credit to be given. 3) I cannot get the company to do a wage reassignment and get them money back from Ohio and issue a W2C, and their company through ADP recommended getting a tax attorney (which would exceed the amount of money that was charged by Ohio). 

Thank you in advance for any and all help!