What should I do if the South Carolina tax due that TurboTax calculates is slightly off from what the Department of Revenue’s tax table indicates?

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

You should rely on TurboTax to calculate the amount of your South Carolina taxes.  TurboTax guarantees the calculations are 100% accurate.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

State tax filing

It is a small difference, so I know I’m looking in the right place on the SCDOR website. Basically, if I take what TurboTax says, I’m going to be accepting a smaller refund than I would if I filed on paper. It’s very small, but it’s still my money. I wish there was a way to show the discrepancy to TurboTax, but I don’t see a way to talk to them directly without paying money. 😕

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

The tax rates/tables that TurboTax uses are based on information provided by the states and then approved by the states.  If I were you, I would trust TurboTax.  Your alternative is to file a paper return by mail and make the calculations yourself or change what TurboTax calculates.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

State tax filing

I had the same problem. It is not a matter of a calculation. It says they (TurboTax) are getting the information from SC1040TT, but when you look at that table on the SCDOR website, the amounts do not match. So either the SCDOR website is incorrect, or the information in TurboTax's copy of SC1040TT is incorrect.

State tax filing

That was my conclusion as well. For me, it was a small enough difference that I just went ahead and filed. However, it certainly doesn’t instill confidence.