turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What should I do if the South Carolina tax due that TurboTax calculates is slightly off from what the Department of Revenue’s tax table indicates?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

What should I do if the South Carolina tax due that TurboTax calculates is slightly off from what the Department of Revenue’s tax table indicates?

You should rely on TurboTax to calculate the amount of your South Carolina taxes.  TurboTax guarantees the calculations are 100% accurate.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It is a small difference, so I know I’m looking in the right place on the SCDOR website. Basically, if I take what TurboTax says, I’m going to be accepting a smaller refund than I would if I filed on paper. It’s very small, but it’s still my money. I wish there was a way to show the discrepancy to TurboTax, but I don’t see a way to talk to them directly without paying money. 😕

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

The tax rates/tables that TurboTax uses are based on information provided by the states and then approved by the states.  If I were you, I would trust TurboTax.  Your alternative is to file a paper return by mail and make the calculations yourself or change what TurboTax calculates.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I had the same problem. It is not a matter of a calculation. It says they (TurboTax) are getting the information from SC1040TT, but when you look at that table on the SCDOR website, the amounts do not match. So either the SCDOR website is incorrect, or the information in TurboTax's copy of SC1040TT is incorrect.

That was my conclusion as well. For me, it was a small enough difference that I just went ahead and filed. However, it certainly doesn’t instill confidence.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies