maglib
Level 11

State tax filing

I hope you filed a change of address with CT and had your voting records and Drivers records switched as proving residency is easiest then.  So for Jan to May you are a part year resident of CT  and yes you pay taxes as a resident of CT for any money earned in NY from Jan-May, the interview will help you allocate.  For Jan- May you are a non-resident of NY and would potentially owe money to NY for the income earned for that period of time as a non-resident.  For June to December you are a part year resident of NY and the freelance work since it was NOT performed in CT is only taxable to NY.  During the NY interview you will have to allocate income for nonresident and resident periods.   )NOTE:  the full year NY resident rule is you maintain a permanent place of abode in New York State for more than 11 months of the year AND spend 184 days or more in New York State during the tax year (do note that you are not a resident for the full year as the 11 month rule means your permanent place of abode).  

On the CT part year resident return you should get a credit for any taxes you actually had withheld in NY up till May on the income earned in NY till May.
**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.