psmbell

State tax filing

To TurboTaxToddL:  You will find the relevant area under "Medical Insurance or HMO Premiums Reduce Household Resources" in the State Taxes interview for Michigan.  It states, "We have already included medical insurance premiums you previously entered on your federal return.  If your auto insurance includes medical payments, enter the medical care portion of your auto insurance premiums here."  My policy lists Personal Injury Protection as having three sub-headings:  Medical Benefits, Work Loss Benefits, and Survivors' Loss Benefits.   The premium for PIP is listed, but it does not have a breakdown for each sub-heading.  I have checked with my insurance provider several times, and they insist that there is no separate breakdown of the PIP premium for the three subheadings (in this particular case, for the "Medical Benefits" portion of the Personal Injury Protection).  If my insurance provider is typical of other insurance companies in Michigan, and if the PIP as a whole is not the "medical care portion of your auto insurance premium", and the "Medical Portion" cannot be broken out separately, what good is this question in the MI state interview?