State tax filing

@NCperson wrote:
While TT suggests doing the non- resident first, I can’t imagine it really matters .... the software recalculates every time you change an input ... and.... if there software was calculating incorrectly, their guarantee would kick in for an incredible number of users who file in multiple states.... could be over a million!

What is not covered in the TurboTax guarantee is exactly the subject of this thread; overpaying taxes due to either a miscalculation or an input failure. Thus, it is best to follow the advice provided by the developers of the software; do the non-resident return first.

In addition, I can state unequivocally that, although the software recalculates whenever an input is changed on the federal side, the state returns I have tested do not exhibit the same behavior; I have had to enter figures manually on test state returns. The figures primarily transfer from federal to state, but do not always appear in the proper place on the state return and/or need to be entered or confirmed manually.

View solution in original post