md7922

Used out of state address on my tax return in 2020 and 2021 and now that state (understandably) wants to be paid taxes

I permanently moved in Sep 2020 from IA to IN after not working in IA at all during 2020 thanks to Covid. Started freelancing in IN in Sept 2020. When I filed my taxes for 2020 and 2021, I just used my old IA address thinking it needed to match my license (which was at my parents address and why I didn't rush to change it) In 2022 I finally got an IN driver's license and that year started using my IN address on my taxes.

I paid IN state taxes every year 2020-current

IA sent a bill this week for $13K in unpaid personal income tax.  All I have as proof that I lived here is that I was being paid for a job you can't do remotely (operating a machine), the fact that I opened a local bank account in Sep 2020 (bank mail still sent to my IA address, though), and the fact that I paid Indiana taxes.

If it's not obvious, I realize this is my very stupid mistake and IA is currently totally justified in sending the bill, just trying to figure out what if anything I can do about this.