jmud

Mistaken withholdings to New York, live in Virginia

Hi,

My family moved from New York to Virginia in July 2021. In 2021 we were successfully able to allocate the percentage of year between the two states and receive our NY refund and pay our VA taxes. This year we are having a more difficult time.

- My Ohio-based company did not change my address until mid-2022, and New York taxes were withheld until they made the change, when it switched to Virginia.  My W-2 has the same amount for wages in the New York and Virginia boxes (my full-year salary for both). My understanding is that all my New York withholdings should be refunded because there is zero relation to New York (my residence or company location).  A TurboTax live help agent told me that I need to request a corrected W-2 from my employer - what corrections should I request?

- My wife received a W-2 from a NY-based company that ended her employment at the end of 2021. No Virginia taxes were withheld from this W-2 despite us having lived in Virginia for all of 2022. Does this count as New York Source Income because the company is New York-based, although we live in Virginia? 

In TurboTax, I'm told that my New York e-file will be rejected when I allocate our New York wages to 0. I've seen elsewhere that we should file this return by paper with a note. Happy to provide any other details if needed.