State tax filing

@sidekickin You likely have already filed your Federal and OK Nonresident tax form (Form 511-NR: "Oklahoma Nonresident/Part-Year Income Tax Return"). But in case you have not filed the OK Nonresident tax form yet and are still trying to figure out how to file to establish your net loss for 2021, this may help.

1. You need to file Form 511-NR: "Oklahoma Nonresident/Part-Year Income Tax Return". You will need numbers from that for the 2nd form below.  I used Turbotax Home and Business-2021, and it DID generate Form 511-NR.  (Turbotax will generate this form, but if you want the Nonresident info packet from Oklahoma which has instructions, to get some understanding of the calculations, the link is here: https://oklahoma.gov/content/dam/ok/en/tax/documents/forms/individuals/current/511-NR-Pkt.pdf).

2. To establish the net loss for 2021 in Oklahoma, you will need to file Oklahoma Form 511-NR-NOL.  Your earlier intuition about needing to file taxes in Oklahoma for 2021, even though you don't "have to" b/c you don't owe any money, were correct if you want to establish a net operating loss.

You can get this form here: https://oklahoma.gov/content/dam/ok/en/tax/documents/forms/individuals/past-year/2020/511-NR-NOL-201...

I had a net loss for 2021. It was for a rental property. However, in the OK Nonresident tax packet, on page 6 it says: "NET OPERATING LOSS
The loss year return must be filed to establish the Oklahoma Net Operating Loss.
Use the 511-NR-NOL schedules."

Here is my research for why "OK Form 511-NR" and "OK Form 511-NR-NOL" must both be filed:

a) I confirmed with a friend who is a tax CPA in California, that if I have a net loss in OK, I do need to file taxes in OK in order to establish the loss so I can carry it forward in future years.  b) Also, I called the Oklahoma Tax Commission [phone number removed]), and asked a rep if I had to use 1) OK Form 511-NR AND/OR 2) Form 511-NR-NOL to establish a net loss carryover. She said to use both.  3) I also got an email back from the OK Tax Commission, from a different rep, saying I had to use both forms.  (The web form to email them is here: https://oklahoma.gov/tax/contact/general.html)    So I have concluded I need to use both. 

I believe that you likely need to use Form 511-NR-NOL  to establish your net loss for 2021, even if it is not for a real estate rental property. After all, it says in the OK Nonresident tax package on page 6 "NET OPERATING LOSS: The loss year return must be filed to establish the Oklahoma Net Operating Loss.
Use the 511-NR-NOL schedules."  This statement does not seem to differentiate b/w residential rental property losses and other rental property losses, such as yours.  

Also, please note, this info may not apply to LLCs. Please check with your own tax accountant or CPA.

Also, be aware that Turbotax Home and Business does NOT generate Form 511-NR-NOL. The form looks long, but otherwise it looks easy enough to fill out oneself. (That is what I am doing.) Or maybe you can ask/hire tax accountant to fill this form out for you.

Note1: I do a lot of research, but please do not consider this as tax advice. I am not a licensed tax CPA. Please consult with your own tax CPA for tax advice.

Note2: If you found this post helpful or informative, please give it a thumbs up!