State tax filing

1) Since I worked from NYC (from my son's apartment who I was visiting and staying with) am I "supposed" to pay income tax to NY? How would NY even determine that I was required to do so?  For that matter how does any state know?

mostly they rely on taxpayer honesty. however, in some cases, someone using your services may issue a 1099 a copy of which would go to the state besides the IRS.  getting caught would result, as a minimum, penalties and interest besides the taxes and at the worst jail time penalties and interest.

2) I am actually on a lady bird deed in Florida for my father's place. We were thinking about moving down there, but I assume we would continue to only be there 3-4 months a year. If I switch over all things (e.g., register to vote, car registration, etc) to Florida can I then not pay state tax? I assume because I'm a business owner in VA I would still have to pay VA income tax on my business income, but could I save on investment income?

can't answer because it depends on the type of tax entity that does the business and what your business is. is it you as a sole proprietor or through a single-member LLC, S or C Corp?