NY State refuses to give NYC local tax back

I nearly died in an accident on christmas eve 2019 and had to move out of NY to MA to live with family. I continued to pay rent on my apt in Brooklyn because I wasn't sure when I'd be returning and canceling the lease came with a hefty fee. I finally did move out in August 2020. NY is refusing to give back all the NYC local taxes I paid throughout all of 2020 because I can't show them a bill with my name on it from MA and that's because I have no bills there since I live with family. I did however send them credit card statements once it had my MA address on it midway through 2020 which shows I was making purchases exclusively outside NYC. I also shared my lease which shows I did not resign in August. This is not enough information according to them. They've wasted dozens of hours of my life with this process. Worst part is, my company forgot to remove NY state taxes for the year 2021 up until a month ago when I noticed it was still being taken out. I will have to deal with this whole process again next year.