After you file

I think I've found an error I made while reading multiple posts where others are applying for ITIN. As you've mentioned, child tax credit could be claimed only if child has SSN. Instead, everyone was indicating credit for other dependents while filing a tax return and applying for ITIN. 

1) Is above understanding correct and the right way to file tax return with ITIN application? Meaning, to indicate credit for other dependents instead of child tax credit. At least that's what others are doing.

2) Initially I was just planning to re-submit requested documents. But per IRS, modifications related to credit does require 1040X form. So I think it needs to be done through an amendment. Should I wait for my current refund to be processed and received to file amendment with W7? Or I can just go ahead right away?

Asking all these questions because I got lot of confusing information from ITIN department. For example, they've implicitly confirmed that 'credit for other dependents' should be used instead of child tax credit while applying for ITIN. But in this case tax return amendment is not possible because it's past Apr 15th. They were very unconfident and unsure while providing this info. 

Per my understanding, it's still possible to apply for ITIN. Modify credit type, complete 1040X and file with W7. Just wanted to know if that is the right way.