After you file

@ThomasM125 Thank you for that advice. I tried calling the phone # same day I got it (yesterday) and couldn't get through to anyone so sent an overnight letter explaining and documenting the issue. They will receive that today. I received a penalty notice in past couple of years but it was in error and they removed it. I had timely filed for an extension and they took forever processing it. I sent what I had on my computer to prove I filed it. Unfortunately I didn't have a post office receipt just a time stamp on my extension form and sent that with copy of computer system file. Since that happened, when I file for extensions I do it with tracking numbers as proof. I don't always need the extensions but do them just in case of an emergency. So I hope they don't count that one as a one time forgiveness. When they removed the penalty I don't recall if they said whether that they found my extension was timely filed. I will check on that.

I think Turbo Tax should modify their notices when you transmit your returns. Rather than showing animated balloons and Congratulations etc., they should put a CAUTIONARY statement out to put people on notice that they have only completed the first step and to make sure they check back for a notice that IRS ACCEPTED the return and to also check their Junk mail folder for future follow up notices. When I received their cheery Congrats etc., I thought all was done and I never saw the Rejection notice that went to junk mail apparently until a year later. I was floored when I learned this year that my 2022 business return was "not filed"!

I know now only because I have learned the hard way by being billed $2200 for that hard lesson. That would have been avoided had Turbo Tax sent a notice that alerted me to this issue rather than their stupid Congrats and balloons. I never had this happen before so I didn't know.

It seems like there is always something with Turbo Tax. I'm still waiting to see if I can file my personal return because of the k-1 issue not being ready and I see notices in my email where people are saying they still can't file because of that.

Also why can we not file our S Corp extension online?? When my CPA did my taxes years ago, he was always able to do that. And other tax prep. companies I believe do allow that. With Turbo Tax, you have to paper file it, document that you did it because that method is sooo slow and if you don't have proof you did it, you get hit with a penalty!

Venting a little here but I appreciate your advice and it has given me some hope that they will remove that penalty.