Intuit Alumni

After you file

If you paid the sales taxes in 2016, you'll need to amend your 2016 return to claim the taxes as a deduction.  You can't claim taxes in a prior year on a current-year return.

Please see the TurboTax FAQ "How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed," below, for instruction on how to amend your previously-filed 2016 tax return.