kjnoire
Returning Member

IRS Believes I received my refund. I didn't

Hello

I filed my taxes in March of this year. When I did, I made a mistake. I thought i hadnt received the 3rd stimulus payment (1400) in 2021, so i marked i didnt. That would have made my refund 2440

However after i submitted my taxes, i realized i did receive the 3rd stimulus. I filed an amended return with a turbotax agent and sent the amended return in days later.

After the amended return was sent, i received a letter from the irs stating that they corrected the original mistake on my tax form and my refund would be 1040, which is right.

But a few days after that letter, the IRS removed 1400 from my bank account, the amount of the 3rd stimulus payment. I had NOT received any refund from the IRS. The 1400 they took is of my own money. The IRS believes i received the 2440 by mistake, and removed 1400 to make my actual refund 1040. But the problem is I never received ANY refund. I had not received 2440 at all.

I talked to a irs agent who stated they would put a note on my return. But my concern is that the IRS believes the problem is already corrected since they took the 1400 back already. Since then I havent been able to get in touch with the IRS at all.

What can I do?