sandus20

I filed my tax return by mail on Feb 23 I still have not received it, and no coherent information on IRS website Can you please help?

How Can I know if my return was even received by the IRS?

After you file

Mailed in returns are taking 6 months or more for the IRS since they are so backlogged.  You can keep checking the IRS website, Where's My Refund, it will show information when the IRS has enter your return into their system.

Since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, the IRS has fallen nearly a year behind in processing paper tax returns. As of March 18, 2022, the paper return backlog stood at nearly 15 million.
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

After you file

You don't receive your return. Your tax return is the form you send to the IRS that shows your income and calculates your tax. The money the IRS sends back to you is your refund.

The way to know if the IRS received a mailed tax return is to send it by a service that provides tracking and confirmation of delivery, such as certified mail with a return receipt. If you didn't do that, all you can do is wait until it shows up on Where's My Refund? on the IRS web site, or until you get some communication from the IRS. They are severely backlogged this year in processing mailed tax returns. It could take 6 months or more.

After you file

@sandus20 @bluedeb - the current paper backlog is 8.5mm and represents 80% of the backlog.  A minimum of 6 months is a good waiting estimate, but could be as much as 9 months!

Lesson Learned: if you can efile, do it!

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue#coll...

As of June 1, 2022, we had 10.5 million unprocessed individual returns which include returns received before 2022, and new tax year 2021 returns. Of these, 2 million returns require error correction or other special handling, and 8.5 million are paper returns waiting to be reviewed and processed. This work does not typically require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund and in some cases this work could take 90 to 120 days. If a correction is made to any Recovery Rebate Credit, Child Tax Credit, Earned Income Tax Credit or Additional Child Tax Credit claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation.

How long you may have to wait: The IRS understands the importance of timely processing of tax returns and refund issuance. We have processed all error free returns received prior to October 2021 and continue to work the returns that need to be manually reviewed due to errors.  We are continuing to reroute tax returns and taxpayer correspondence from locations that are behind to locations where more staff is available, and we are taking other actions to minimize any delays. Tax returns are opened and processed in the order received. As the return is processed, whether it was filed electronically or on paper, it may be delayed because it has a mistake including errors concerning the Recovery Rebate Credit and the Child Tax Credit, is missing information, or there is suspected identity theft or fraud. If we can fix it without contacting you, we will. If we need more information or need you to verify that it was you who sent the tax return, we will write you a letter. The resolution of these issues could take 90 to 120 days depending on how quickly and accurately you respond, and the ability of IRS staff trained and working under social distancing requirements to complete the processing of your return.

After you file

@NCperson wrote:

We have processed all error free returns received prior to October 2021......

I know for an actual fact that is either intentionally misleading or a misstatement.

Alternatively, they may have "processed" all error free returns but are still in the process of issuing refunds for returns filed prior to October 2021.

After you file

@NCperson said @bluedeb - the current paper backlog is 8.5mm and represents 80% of the backlog. A minimum of 6 months is a good waiting estimate, but could be as much as 9 months!

I did answer the post that it can take 6 months or more to process mailed in returns.  So I have no idea why you mentioned me.  

After you file

@bluedeb - because you mentioned the March backlog of 15mm and I wanted to be sure you saw the latest stats from the IRS of 8.5mm (not suggesting that means things have improved since March as there is no evidence from any post or news article that paper is anything less than a 6 month backlog) 

After you file

@NCperson  still did not need to be corrected.   It is still 6 months or more to process a mailed in return, no matter what the backlog number is.

After you file

I paper filed back in March , but I am able to e-file… should I try e-filing to that I can get my refund quicker ? I don’t want to wait another 5-9 months for them to get through the back lot of I can e file

now and get my return without 21 days…

After you file

NO!  If you mailed it do not efile it.  That will delay it even more.      Only file one time.  It is taking 6 months or more to process mailed returns.  Just keep waiting.

After you file

lesson learned for next tax filing season: if you can efile, DO IT.....