After you file

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies. We finally got our 2nd stimulus payment in October!

TLDR: We moved which really confused everyone involved. The 2nd payment got returned to sender and lost in the abyss that is the IRS. After months of calling we finally got an in person appointment at a local IRS center who figured everything out and got us paid about 6 weeks later. 

Here's what happened: 

- We moved in late 2019 and when I filed our 2020 taxes, I selected a written check refund and the IRS sent payment to the old address we lived in during 2019.  

- The 1st payment was sent to the old address but our mail forwarding got it to us. 

- I should've updated our mailing address for the 2nd payment, but didn't. The 2nd payment sent out right when our USPS mail forwarding ended and was returned to sender.

- I found this out after calling for months. *Pro-Tip* I used the IRS appointment number (844) 545-5640. Option 1, 1. If I called before 10am EST I had a good chance of contacting a real person. Most days you will get "We're sorry...". Keep trying. The appointment agents CAN resolve some issues to help avoid in-person appointments. They looked at my account and told me how the 2nd payment had been returned and could not be reissued because of the 3rd party involved in payments.

- While on the phone, I updated our address and direct deposit and the 3rd payment was deposited later on without issue. 

- They told us to wait on the 2nd payment to be issued. We waited and kept calling and finally, we got an in person appointment reserved which was not until September. 

- At the appointment, we showed the agents what had happened. They verified everything on their end and told us they would fix it. About 6 weeks later payment was issued.

Lessons learned: update your address, use direct deposit, call the IRS appointment number with questions, make an appointment at a local IRS center. 

View solution in original post