After you file

Kidding me with all the high & mightier's responding to this even if it's old. People are having the same experience in 2021 it's very obvious what the other responders are talking about. 1st hand account lived here all my days and did NOT know you are REQUIRED to file a whole return just for this crap city of Toledo. Working since 17 only now getting the threatening notice to send them information because I've magically gone 'unreported' in recent years which is absurd bc my employers, EVERY LAST ONE, took this cities rate out every single last check! Even the temp agencies paying $68 for the work assignment that day, even if the work was done in Michigan, took Toledo's stuff out. I, probably like everyone else responding here, had every honest reason to believe that was all that needed to be done it was taken out already every pay. I'd NEVER EVER BEEN TOLD BY ANYONE I had to file a whole separate return for the city infact my now ex-husband once told me no one files city besides the self-employed bc it's not worth it as you won't get much if anything back, but he never said it was REQUIRED.

Sitting up on your high horse basically talking about 'it's your fault you didn't file now just be quiet & pay the fines & fees' completely ignores the fact the city itself doesn't say jack $#&* about needing to file a city return. They don't send forms, notices, postcard, do a news announcement at tax time.. NOTHING to people's houses they know are employed when they have this info from the IRS! That is sinister & plain WRONG bc by time you find out (being asked far back as 2017!) you've no doubt wracked up hundreds in fees/fines! How hard is it to tell people they need to do this the IRS has no issue letting everyone know they have to file if they got income!
You ignore the reality those who are already impoverished suffer most as you can imagine bc it sounds like it doesn't matter if your W2 shows you properly paid or not you've already been slapped with fines you likely can't pay as I can't since I've had no income for months. It's utterly sick considering the fact Amazon came around here, built 2 buildings, 1 in Rossford, OH.... & DOESN'T PAY a DIME IN TAXES! But they can totally afford that going after poor single parents on a false belief of unpaid taxes from a slave wage job is so much more important!