After you file

Hi Fanfare,

Understood, thanks for the reply.

Hi Critter-3,

Thanks for the reply and very appreciative of your suggestion.  

But unfortunately the taxpayer advocate lines were not helpful. 

Tried calling the local office in Los Angeles first.  Couldn't get out of the recordings.  2 of the 5 recorded options appears it might apply to my situation.  

Option 2 = general questions.  This option led me to a recorded message saying to contact IRS directly or look for additional information on IRS website before disconnecting the call.

Option 5 = non of the previous 4 options apply.  This option led me to leave a message.

Not being able to find anyone live, I called the National Tax Advocate line.  After being on hold, the person who answered the call immediate said there is nothing the advocates can do, before I even said what the letter I've received was about.  She insisted that I need to speak with the IRS directly.  It took me 2-3 minutes to convince her to even listen what the letter was about.  After I've explained the situation, she again said she can not give any suggestions or advice, and reiterated there is nothing they can do to help.  Only thing she can do was to transfer me to the IRS.

So I spoke to the IRS again earlier this afternoon.  Person I spoke to stated there are notes showing and adjustment has been made and a letter dated 10/11 will be sent out around that date saying my account has been credited and I don't owe anything.  It might take up to 2 weeks to receive the letter.  In the mean time, I was told I can also check status/transcript online by creating an account on irs.com.  The person confirmed I don't need to do anything else.

I've noted the name and ID number of each person I've spoken to at IRS since the beginning.  Considering the CP11 says I have 60 days (11/4) to reply to the letter if I reply by mail, I'm now leaning towards waiting until after 10/11, then check the status either online or by calling IRS again and using the automated system to see if my due amount has in fact been changed.  If my due amount has been updated, then I'll just wait for the letter to arrive.  If my due amount is still not changed, then I'll go the 1040x route by mailing the Schedule 3 to IRS via certified mail with return receipt.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read my situation and provide suggestions.  I will report back again after 10/11.