heideriah
Returning Member

Amended 2020 Return (to add RRC)

Single/never married, no dependents. Nobody can claim me as a dependent. Filed a non-filers for 2019. Earned less than $1,000 in 2020 (W2). Did not receive any unemployment compensation. In other words, I'm thinking this would (hopefully) make me quick/easy to process. 

I received the 2nd stimulus ($600) last year and the 3rd stimulus ($1400) a few months ago. I'm not sure why, but I didn't receive the 1st stimulus ($1200). I wasn't even aware of the $1200 stimulus. I assumed the $600 I received was the 1st one. 

2 nights ago, e-filed thru TurboTax. I mistakenly selected "Yes, this looks right" when it showed me the 2 stimulus amounts (I thought it was strange that it said $1200 instead of $1400, but not knowing the $1400 goes on next year's taxes I figured that's what they meant & selected yes).

After a bunch of googling, I realized my error. I went back to TurboTax & amended/added $1200 Recovery Rebate Credit. This was only about an hour after I filed the first one.

I received the message "congratulations the irs has accepted your refund" within 15-20 mins both times. I just read something today that says you're supposed to wait until AFTER you receive your refund (original/wrong amount) to amend it.

IRS site has no info for me. I've searched both the original amount and the amended amount. Do you think since I filed them back-to-back within an hour of one another, this will be a good thing or a bad thing? Does my easy-filing status mean it will be processed faster? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you