After you file

Thanks, but that wasn't my problem.  But I found a solution & perhaps it might help others in a similar situation.

I entered the Roth IRA contribution as part of the initial submittal, even though this didn't affect the tax.  I also entered the total unemployment compensation.  At the time of submittal, this was all taxable.  I received my initial refund based on that report.

Then congress passed the UC exemption and IRS recomputed the tax and sent an add'l refund for the tax paid on the UC Exemption amount and also adjusted the ACA premium tax credit, since AGI was now lower.

This, however, also made me eligible for a new credit, Retirement Savings Contribution Credit (RSCC) since AGI was now below threshold.

Problem was how to complete the amended return to claim this new credit.

The solution (for me) was to:

1. Open the return in TT and find where the UC exemption was calculated.  Find the 10,200 and trace it back thru the forms to where the value was entered by TT and OVERRIDE this to force it to 0.  Also, REMOVE the IRA contribution.  This gave me back my original return.

2. "File" this return by printing.  (Don't actually file or print anything.  Just tell TT that you did.) Then save it.

3. Amend this return to put the 10,200 back it.  This should give you the return reflecting the IRS adjustments.

4. "File" this as in Step 2.  Again, don't actually file or print anything.  Save it again.

5.  Amend this return & put the IRA contribution back in.  This triggers the RSCC credit.  This should give you a new amended return with just the RSCC.

6. Actually file this amended return electronically & wait for the check to arrive.

This worked for me & gave me all the correct values everywhere.