kmbham13

After you file

My question has been in a similar boat as these questions.  However, I'm not finding an answer that is fully fitting my situation.

My husband and I filed jointly (as we usually do) and this year saw the most we had pay in the last three years.  When filing our taxes, my husband failed (in words "forgot") to tell me how the company he works for had split their W2s this year into two separate W2s.  Don't ask me why, I still haven't fully figured out.  It was only in the process of filing our school taxes did I find out about it.   So I just filed my amendment but now It says I owe another number.   Can someone please help me make sure I am understanding what I have been reading because the answers never fully cover "I owe X amount originally and now my amended says I owe X amount. "  It might be great to have TurboTax (or any tax helper) to cover this as well.

Examples TurboTax Gives.
TT Scenario 1: "I get $1000 back in my original refund, but now my amended refund says $200."  That means you get $200 more!

TT Scenario 2: "I get $1000 back in my refund, but now my amended refund says $200" That means you really only get $800 refund.

MY SCENARIO: "We paid $577 in federal taxes originally, our amended now says we owe $417."  From the examples TurboTax gives and from what I understand.  Our amended amount is separate from our original amount.  I just want to clarify that by the logic given my husband and I now owe an additional $417 to the original $577 paid.  Is this correct?