smolslime

After you file

Hi, I also had a similar problem. So recently my parents and I got into a dispute over me claiming myself as independent when I filed taxes for the first time on my own this year. They haven't filed theirs yet so I went ahead and filed for myself as independent. I'm 20 years old and I do online schooling for Penn Foster which I read does not count towards taxes or anything since it's just an online, "work at your own pace" type of college program. I pay entirely for said program. I also filed just over $11,000 this year so if the $4,300 issue comes into play, I was indeed over that. I do though live in their home and they pay for the families groceries, the home bills, and the health insurance included with my parent's jobs. However, I do own a car and bough said car on my own, pay for the car insurance, pay for my phone and phone bill, all of my clothes minus like, birthday gifts, pay for my snacks and recreation activities, my gas for my car, all my cosmetics, my school, and any extra thing that isn't a need, just a want such as my pets and everything they need. Are they correct about being able to file me as dependent since I live in their home and they pay for said home and the things in the home like electricity and water bills? I already filed and received both my tax return and a stimulus check (I have never gotten one before this). Am I in the wrong and do I need to file an amended tax claim in order to fix this even if they haven't filed their taxes this year yet still got the stimulus checks including the previous ones?
Also to add, soon I will be moving out and unless they still choose to cover my insurances, they will have no responsibilities over me whatsoever as I'll be paying for EVERYTHING of my own including rent so they'd be loosing the dependency of me completely anyway. So, should it have also been such a big ordeal for me to have claimed myself independent?