New Member

I recently discovered that my state income tax on my W2 was set to the state of Colorado even though I live and work in kansas, it has been this way since I started my job in 2019 but I only recently

Expert Alumni

After you file

First contact your employer to make sure that this won't be an issue in the future.

You should file your W-2 as it is then file a Non-resident return for Colorado showing that you have no income that is taxable to Colorado in order to get your money back. Also file your Kansas resident return. As a full year resident all your income is taxable in Kansas. 

To fix your 2019 return, you need to amend it:

To amend prior year return:

  1. Sign in to your account
  2. Scroll down to Your tax return & documents (you may need to select Show), select the tax year  and then Amend (change) return.
  3. Carefully follow the instructions. Don't worry if your refund changes to $0. This is normal on amended returns.
  4. When finished, we'll give you instructions for printing and mailing your amended return as amendments can't be e-filed.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
New Member

After you file

Will I have to make up any differences with state income taxes?