Does code 1541 mean I'm being audited? I'm not sure what could be wrong with my return. Has anyone else had this issue and what was the code for?
I think code 1541 means that your return is delayed. I don't think it means you are being audited.
- You claimed Earned Income Credit (those were held til mid-Feb before they begin processing)
- Hold due to a current or prior year return that was filed incorrectly
- Hold on current return to resolve past filing issues if there are prior year returns you didn’t file
- Filed and you owe past due obligation (i.e. federal/state taxes owed from prior years, child support, student loans, etc.)
- IRS has an overflow of returns at this time and maybe behind schedule