Where (the heck) is my Amended Return?!

Anyone know what's going on at the IRS?  

I understand that they shut down for a few months due to coronavirus, so I'm not really too upset that my amended return (and sizable refund) is taking a while. 

But about a month ago, the "Where's my Amended Return" site said "Take action: your return has not been processed call this number, and have your amended return available".  After an hour on hold, the representative said that the computer just puts that stock message on any file over three months old.  Call back in January 2021.

Wouldn't it be nice if "Where's my Amended Return" actually said where your amended return was?  Like "Your amended return is currently number 142857 in the queue.  Estimated date of processing, January 14, 2021".

Not to rant, or to express impatience; I was just wondering if anyone knows what it's like at the IRS right now.  How big is the queue?  How many returns are getting through on a daily basis?  Are they short-staffed?  Is it stressful?  Are things better or worse than they're saying publicly?  When will things get back to normal?  Is there any way to find out where is my amended return?