Mrum328-72
Returning Member

Taxes filed on time. Check Cashed, but received form CP80 that they have not received my tax return

I had to file my taxes by mail this year.  I sent my taxes on time.  Actually, a couple of months early.  The envelope included my check and all documents.  The check was cashed, but now I received a CP80 form stating that they have my money and I have a credit on my account, but that I need to send my tax return.  Should I mark the forms sent the second time in any way so that it shows that I filed on time and was not late?  Also, since I already sent them, can I send a copy of my W2 since I do not have an extra?  The IRS is not answering the phone for the last few days.

After you file

This can happen especially this year due to the covid shut down earlier this year ... your return is probably sitting in a pile waiting it's turn to be processed.  Respond back to the IRS as directed and indicate the original was sent with the check ...mail in a copy of the signed return and a copy of the W-2 (doesn't need to be the original). 

View solution in original post

Mrum328-72
Returning Member

After you file

Thank you.