After you file

Critter - Yes, I am sure the Basis on the stock sales was not updated.  In fact, I am not sure if the Brokerage did it and considered that maybe it was done by TurboTax.  But SOMEBODY did make an attempt to help me out - because just the stocks that were held at my wife's death were split in half, using her data of Death as the Acquired Date on the LT Gains entries.  Maybe the Brokerages, if they are the ones that did it thought they were helping me out and expected me to adjust the Basis myself.

That would have been a good try - except I lived in Texas at the time and the Step-up in Community Property states is 100%, as opposed to 50% for other states.

However, I am really impressed that the Brokerages are that smart - smart enough to have split the stock sales, which would have been proper for the non-Community Property states.  I had 3 Brokerages at the time and stocks from all 3 of the Brokerages were split - and I think done rather correctly except for the Basis adjustment.

But the real mess right now is that all should have been reported as LT Gains - so I think your advice to just replace all 8949s, correctly updated is the best, most reasonable path to take.  Adding all of the above verbiage for other people that missed the Basis adjustment as I did.

OK, one last question - should I just use my spouse's date of death on all of the stocks that I am adjusting the Basis on - and it seems like if I do that, I will just make an entry in column "f" (to note that these are adjusted entries), with no adjustment in column "g".

Thanks for the help.

ron in shawnee