After you file

**UPDATE**

TLDR; I filed early march and was told if i don't get my return by july 31st to call again and they will escalate (july 31st is the deadline to get finished all backlogged tax returns)

So I e-filed with turbotax back in the beginning of March, got my state immediately, still waiting on federal, IRS website says "still being processed."

I called a month ago and spoke to someone at the IRS using @mesquitebean 's directions above. I was told it's because I made an $11 payment in an amendment to my state taxes and for some reason it went to the IRS. I was told she was going to release that back to me so I could pay the state and release my federal return.

4 months later and still nothing. I just got off another call with the IRS with a 40min wait time and was told that yes she had been correct in what she told me, but she failed to mention that they are so back-logged that my return still has yet to be processed. She said for not having anyone in the office to work the returns for months they are trying to get through all of them now. My return is fairly simple, single, no dependents, house, 2 jobs that's it. She said if I do not get my return by July 31st because this is their deadline for backlogged returns to call again and they will escalate.