mtmyers2
Returning Member

Need Help

I filed my taxes in early April for 2019. I'm self-employed and work part-time. I was filing in order to see if I could get the Economic Impact Payment. I hadn't filed in a year or two because I had been out of work. They were filed and accepted and I set it so that what I owed would be charged from my account at a later date (July 15th). Since then, I have discovered that I am ineligible for the EIP and that I made less income than the necessary amount for the year that requires someone to file in my state. Right now I am unsure what to do because I do not have enough money in my account and will not be able to cover the cost of the taxes I owe. I'm not sure if the money I owe is even legitimately owed since I made less than the required amount of income in 2019 that necessitates filing. 

I've tried calling Turbo Tax and after 20 minutes of navigating their phone line and only being able to talk to a computer, I had to give up after another 20 minutes of waiting. I was told the current wait time was 45 to 55 minutes. I tried calling the IRS and they have a similar phone line that seems to be intended to limit the amount of human to human interaction. Their menu is setup with choices so that their calls are eventually dropped and you're told to go online. After a second attempt, I finally got to a menu that had me waiting to speak to a person, but the computer told me the specific topic I was calling in regards to was experiencing high volume and that my call couldn't be taken at that time. I was disconnected.

I'm going to try to call them back. After researching online and attempting to call Turbo Tax and the IRS, I am still unsure what to do to prevent my account from being charged without the funds needed to cover what I owe. I couldn't afford it even if I did have the necessary amount. And I still don't know if I even need to pay if I make under the total amount per year that necessitates an individual to file in the first place.