kalbman
Returning Member

After you file

@NCperson @Critter 

First of all, thank you so much for you answers and opinions!  But I do have some follow up questions if I may.

@Critter - On that screen captured question you posted, I clicked "NO" and if I remember it correctly, it led me to questions such as "did you provide more than 10% for your dependent?"  And when I clicked yes on that it led me to question such as "Did you and other members support more than 50% for the dependent collectively?"  When I clicked YES on that it asked me question such as "will nobody else claim the dependent?" and it told me to file form 2120, "Multiple Support Declaration." (order of questions might be wrong though)

In form 2120, it basically says "During the calendar year 2019, the eligible persons listed below each paid over 10% of the support of dependent" And it goes on saying "I have signed statement from each eligible person waiving his or her right to claim this person as a dependent for any tax year that began in the above calendar year. " 

My question now is that since questions asked by Turbotax (such as "do you provide more than 50%?") was so simple and straightforward, I simply clicked yes or no without looking into detailed explanation as suggested by @Critter.  And after the question "did you provide more than 10%" there was a specific form 2120 to fill in, I thought as long as family members collectively provide more than 50% and only one person who provide more than 10% claim the dependent, then it is ok.  

And here is the portion of Turbotax blog titled "can you claim a parent as a dependent?" https://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/tax-deductions-and-credits-2/family/can-you-claim-a-parent-as-a-dep...

"If support for your parent was given by a group of individuals or family members, you may want to sign a Multiple Support Declaration (Form 2120) if you also supported your parent and you want to claim them. A Multiple Support Declaration (Form 2120) is a signed statement from each eligible person, waiving his or her right to claim the parent as a dependent."

So in case where family members collectively support the dependent, then can one person out of that collective group can claim the dependent if he/she provides more than 10% yet not quite 50%?  That is how I understood it as I was answering questions on Turbotax and filling out the form 2120 as instructed by Turbotax... But if I understood it wrong, then I better amend it asap!