Expert Alumni

After you file

The penalty is not a part of your tax calculation, it simply gets added to the tax that you owe. Since the amended return only accounts for your tax and payments and credits against the tax, it does not address the penalty situation.


However, if you include the form 2210 with your amended return along with a note to refund your penalty, the IRS should reduce your payment due by the amount of the penalty. So, just write a letter explaining what you are doing and mail the amended return without a payment and the IRS should process a refund for you.



**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post