After you file

Same! I’m not happy with Turbo Tax either..: They “supposedly” scan the tax filing before it lets you complete and submit, and I assumed that they had my back... But tell me why when I looked over my tax return. Docs last week I caught a couple errors that I’d imagine should of been caught during there “checking on mistakes” proceed. Not only on my return but my fiancé’s as well. I mean; upon importing the w2’s to the return, they have an old address, and it’s not clear at the time of doing the returns that the old address was anywhere in the tax return which for some reason entered (automatically) under the dependents information, and of course it shows the correct / current address as the main filing address. If I’d of known this, I could of corrected it before submitting it to the IRS. Now it’s under dependent audit, and although my fiancé has claimed my kids back and forth throughout the last almost 10 years, no problem! Now because of a simple error that should of been caught and corrected, has brought forth an unexpected and quite frustrating delay. Now, in all honesty WE NEVER KNEW, NOR HAVE WE EVER BEEN TOLD that claiming dependents that aren’t related by blood or by marriage was required, by law. Has it always been that way? Because I sure wished Turbo Tax would clearly specify this in a prompt, when entering dependents, instead it says (NOT IN EXACT WORDS, BUT SOMETHING VERY SIMILAR) They ask these simple questions:

Did your child live with you for more than 6 months YES,

Did you pay more than half of your child dependents living costs in the year YES, Was your dependent enrolled as a full time student 5+ months last year YES,

Can anybody else claiming your dependent on their tax return NO...

Then it says:

CONGRATULATIONS YOU CAN CLAIM SUCH N SUCH TAX CREDITS blah blah blah... For your dependent!!!

WHY DONT THEY PROMPT WITH A WARNING STATING THE IRS TAX LAWS WHICH SPECIFICALLY EXPLAINS WHO A “QUALIFYING” DEPENDENT CAN LEGALLY BE... Every single person I know, or have spoke to, on average have never heard anything about this specific requirement. If we knew this, we wouldn’t have done it this way. It’s kind of important YA THINK? But now because the address discrepancy on the tax return, it hit a snag, which lead to a flag!!! Now it’s retarded!!!
Thanks Turbo Tax! Good Looking OUT!