frca
Level 1

Forgot to report 2018 401k to IRA rollover + non-deductible contributions. Please help?

Hello folks,

In 2018, I opened 2 IRAs (1 Roth, 1 Trad) with Vanguard and I forgot to report a direct rollover from two 401k (1 roth, 1 traditional) with Voya. The rollover was direct and had no tax implications (I didn't take any distributions and the check was mailed from Voya to Vanguard directly). I also forgot to include non-deductible contributions to my IRA for that year ($5,000 to Roth, $500 to Trad, they're non-deductible because I am over the income limit).

I filed through TurboTax and I'm now looking to file the amended returns (even though there are no tax implications in terms of refund or underpayment). I believe I need to file form 8606 for the $500 non-deductible contribution to the Trad IRA as well as a 1040x to report my 401k -> IRA rollover (i.e. include form 1099-R).

Questions:

1. do I really need to file the amended return? I haven't been contacted by the IRS (yet), this is just as an excess of caution

2. do I need to file an a federal AND state return? I understand the need for federal, not too sure about state

3. is there anything else I'm missing or any help you could give me?

Thank you so much!