Amended Return: Tax Due & Tax on Voucher Are Different

I already filed one amendment due to a Social Security issue. Now, I have to file a second amendment due to my discovery that a 1099-R wasn't provided. Turbo Tax handled this fine, but there's a discrepancy in the tax due. Turbo Tax calculated that I owe $361 for the previously unreported income; it's on the 1040X. But the payment voucher says $295. I can't see why this is happening.

After you file

Make  sure the original refund or tax paid and the first amended amounts you paid or received shows up on the 2nd amended return.  You may have to override the amounts using Forms Mode.

You can confirm this by printing your amendment and looking at the 1040X. Line 18 should be your original refund amount and line 22 should be your additional refund.  If you paid on your original return it will be on line 16.  If there is an amount owed with the amendment, it will be on line 20.

You have to include a check for a tax due when you mail the amended return.  Do not use any vouchers that may print out.  The voucher is what your original return would have been if you didn't need to amend it.

If you have a refund they will mail you a check.  They don’t do Direct Deposit for refunds.

View solution in original post

After you file

Payment 1040-V vouchers are NOT used with an amended return so just ignore them.  ONLY send the amount on the 1040X with that form. 

After you file

The latest 1040-X does have the correct, original refund on Line 18. Line 20 shows the tax I now owe, due to the previously unreported 1099R. The amount on the voucher doesn't match anything, but per your advice I won't use it.  Thanks.