After you file

Kieshablaser wrote:
I need copies of my 2017 return. The issue is when I filed 2017, I was using the free version. Then in 2018 I got married and filed joint with my husband using a different program. So I logged in to turbo tax to print my 2017 return, but I need to upgrade to plus in order to print my return. However, you only pay once you file and since I didn’t file 2018 with turbo tax, it’s not letting me upgrade to plus. I can’t seem to find a way to print them free of charge or even upgrade simply to print my previous years.

Kieshablaser:
You don't have to actually file a 2018 return to unlock a prior return, you only have to minimally start the 2018 return long enough to upgrade to PLUS, and then pay the 19.99 by credit/debit card.  You don't have to finish and file the return.  I will provide the full steps below.

• If you haven't already started one, then start a 2018 Free Edition return in the SAME account as the locked 2017 return. 
  • After some preliminary screens, you'll arrive at the MY INFO section.
  • See if there is an Upgrade link in the left menu column.   If not, you'll need to enter some info into the MY INFO screens until you see an Upgrade link either appear in the left menu column or at the end of the MY INFO section.
  • Then click on Upgrade and choose PLUS.   Do NOT upgrade any beyond PLUS, or you'll have problems.
  • Once you are in PLUS, then you need to pay.
  • In the left menu column click on TAX TOOLS, then PRINT CENTER.
  • At the Print Center choose to "Print, save, view THIS  YEAR's return."   (Yes, you say "this year's" because you are paying for the 2018 return in order to unlock the 2017 return.)   You don't actually have to print it.
  • It will ask you to pay.  If the Order Summary appears OK, then choose PAY NOW.
  • You can pay by credit card or debit card (even though it only says "credit.")

NOTE:  If it should offer you the choice of paying later out of the Federal refund, that cannot be done for this purpose.  You have to choose PAY NOW.

There's also a free option if a return transcript will suit your purpose.    You may be able to immediately download a prior return transcript at this IRS website at the link below.  If you don't qualify to open a free IRS account there, you can order one to come by postal mail, which normally takes 5-10 calendar days.

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript