If you used TurboTax and amended your 2016 income tax return before completing your 2017 income tax return, the adoption credit carryforward carries over from 2016 to 2017.
Otherwise, print out the 2016 Adoption Credit Carryforward worksheet. The carryforward credit is on line 18.
Line 16—Credit Carryforward to 2017 If Form 8839, line 15 is smaller than line 14, you may have an unused credit to carry forward to the next 5 years or until used, whichever comes first. Use the Adoption Credit Carryforward Worksheet to figure the amount of your credit carryforward. If you have any unused credit to carry forward to 2017, be sure you keep the worksheet. You will need it to figure your credit for 2017. See Inst 8839 Instructions for Form 8839, Qualified Adoption Expenses.
To enter your Adoption carry-forward amount:
- Type adoption credit in the search bar and click search.
- Click on Jump to adoption credit.
- Enter your child's information.
- On the Tell Us A Little More About this Adoption screen, click on I filed Form 8839 in a prior year for this child.
- Continue with the onscreen interview until you get to the Adoption Credit Carryforwards screen. Enter your amount(s).