I didn't receive my full federal refund

I received my money a week or so after I filed them but didn't get my full federal refund.
nmwisdom

After you file

I used turbotax to file my taxes this year. It was a pretty simple file, but i paid for the service (not the free one). I owe no federal taxes, no state taxes, nothing in general. So why would the IRS short me $600?

After you file

You have to wait for the letter from the IRS that explains that. Could you have made a data entry mistake?
nmwisdom

After you file

I understand that. It is dated for Sep 4, so i assume I have more time to wait. It says online that they made the changes to my refund. I triple checked it before I sent it and again twice since receiving the error in my refund. Unless turbo tax did something wrong, then there was no error. Since it is such a large amount, I am very worried about this.

After you file

TurboTax does not receive feedback from the IRS regarding money that was offset from your refund.  If you owed back taxes, child support, student loan debt, etc. you will receive a letter of explanation from the IRS in several weeks.  The WMR site will contain a message regarding your offset.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/uac/tax-refund-offsets-pay-unpaid-debts">https://www.irs.gov/uac/tax-refund-offs...>
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
nmwisdom

After you file

As I said in the original message, I owe absolutely nothing. I just want to know how turbo tax could vary so drastically from the IRS. I, also, mentioned I understood about the letter. I appreciate your help, but it's not what I'm looking for. If I owe absolutely nothing, what other reason could there be to offset my refund so much?

After you file

Did you receive any unemployment comp or a state tax refund?   Many states stopped sending out 1099-G forms for those, so taxpayers sometimes forget to claim them on their Federal returns.
nmwisdom

After you file

Nope, not at all and Texas doesn't have state taxes.

After you file

Another possibility:  $600 in taxes equates to $4000 in income at a 15% tax rate.  Since $4,050 is the amount of a Personal Exemption, did you claim any dependents that the IRS might have disallowed? (In an earlier post, you mentioned stepchildren in Brazil.)  However, we are only guessing at this point, so please come back once you hear from the IRS.
nmwisdom

After you file

I did. My son from Brazil lives with me. I have a social security number for him, but I did not claim my other stepchildren since they are still in Brazil. Maybe something about that is what happen then. Thank you
singabir

After you file

my full refund was $8,859 but I only got 1240 . what is going on. I don't owe any money neither students' loans. I claimed  my 2 independent kids and they are my siblings. do you think I willl get the rest ?

After you file

Same thing happened to us! Our refund is $11,963 and we only got $4800. Haven’t figured out why yet. I’ve called about whether we have debts or something it would go to and the automatic system said no. Really frustrated!!

After you file

Same thing happened to us! Our refund is $11,963 and we only got $4800. Haven’t figured out why yet. I’ve called about whether we have debts or something it would go to and the automatic system said no. Really frustrated!!
singabir

After you file

could this be tubotax faults or fraud ? i'm confused

After you file

@singabir  @crj.butterfly   The IRS will be sending you each a letter.  $11,963 is an extremely high refund, so it may not have been correct.