For the past two years, I filed a self-employed tax return. This year I don't need to, but can't find an option to change it. How do I revert to the standard 1040?

GeoffreyG

After you file

You have at least a couple of options.

First, the "normal" way to accomplish what you want -- to use a less-expensive version of TurboTax than you did in a prior tax year(s) because you no longer need certain tax forms -- is to manually chose your current year version of TurboTax Online by manually selecting it.  The only place that you'll see that option is in the very beginning of the program after you first logon.  If you've already begun working in a current year product, then you would have to "clear and start over" in order to be presented with the TurboTax version option again.  Here is a link to our FAQ page that describes this choice:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894467-can-i-switch-to-a-lower-priced-version-of-turbotax-online

Second, instead of using TurboTax online, you can get the desktop product of, say, TurboTax Deluxe, and install it on your home (or work) computer.  All of the tax forms available in any of the online TurboTax versions come with Deluxe, and the product can be purchased either as an internet download or as a physical CD-ROM.  If you're already using a TurboTax desktop product, then you can easily delete any tax forms that you don't want by revisiting the appropriate section of the data input (i.e, Wages & Income or Deductions) under Federal Taxes and then just delete the item you don't want.  For instance, enter the Federal Taxes -> Schedule C sub-section and delete the entire business.  Afterwards, you won't have a Schedule C, but your Form 1040 itself remains.

Third, you can call us and ask for help from one of our live agents.  Although we don't widely encourage the practice, nor do we do so in large volume, we have the ability to examine your tax return and see if you qualify for a lower-priced version of TurboTax online, based on your tax forms required.  If the agent determines in your favor, they can manually allow you (on a case-by-case basis) to complete your tax return in the Self-Employed version, but to pay only the fee charged for the Deluxe (or Premier) product upon checkout.

For a multi-year, paying customer such as yourself, we would be happy to discuss this choice with you.  Here is a link you can use to reach a live TurboTax agent.  (Please note that you can also use this link or all other unanswered questions you may have, as well as to ask for data entry assistance.)

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Thanks for asking this important question, and good luck to you.