New Member

How do I amend a single filer return now that a refund has already been sent to this person?

When I tried to file my joint return, I claimed my son a dependent. When his tax return was sent, I did not realize that he had also claimed himself as an exemption. My return is not able to be sent since both returns are unable to take the same dependent exemption.  It is more advantageous to amend the return that my son sent, but he has already received his refund. 

Level 15

After you file

Your dependent filed a return without saying he could be claimed on your return and your return was rejected?  AFTER his return has been fully processed and he has received his refund, he has to file an amended return that says he can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return.  Amended returns (form 1040X) have to be printed and mailed.  They cannot be e-filed; it takes the IRS a couple of months to process them.  Meanwhile, since your e-filed return has been rejected, you now have to print and mail it in to the IRS.  You will not be able to e-file.  Remember that when you mail a return, you need to include copies of your W-2, etc. with your return.

For your dependent:

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post