You can get back into your original return using the steps here below:
- Log into your TurboTax account and click My TurboTax at the top
- You should be on the Tax Timeline now
- Scroll down to SOME THINGS YOU CAN DO section
- Click Add a state (not really adding one, just a way to get back into return)
And once you are back inside of the return, use the steps below to input sales tax paid:
- Type sales tax in the Search box in the top right corner and hit enter
- Click jump to sales tax and that will take you to the screen that says Sales Tax and Income Tax
- Click Continue with Sales Tax there and then choose EasyGuide on the next page to walk you through that section
- Once you see the Major Purchases screen, click Yes there enter your purchase with sales tax paid on that screen.
Another way to get to this section is to:
- Log into your TurboTax account, click orange Take me to my return button
- Click the Federal Taxes tab and then Deductions & Credits
- Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid (may have to click Show More here)
- Then click Start/Revisit next to Sales Tax there
If you are itemizing your deductions, you can claim the sales tax deduction.
NOTE: Keep in mind, the IRS only lets you take either the state sales tax deduction or income tax deduction. You cannot take both. In most cases, the income tax deduction will give you the bigger tax break.